1. Provide creative direction and oversight related to the Playfair Data brand
a. Translate the vision and mission of Playfair Data into clear, creative advertising and marketing objectives and strategies. Communicate those strategies and objectives to Playfair Data colleagues and other audiences, as appropriate.
b. Create, document and maintain style guidelines, brand standards and graphic directory for Playfair Data.
c. Oversee and fulfill all advertising, marketing, website and email initiatives from concept to completion, being mindful of profitability, timelines, budget, and both immediate and long-term goals. Report progress of projects to Playfair Data Founder and Principal at major stages of planning and execution. The fulfillment of this essential function may include but is not limited to the following activities:
i. Develop, produce and maintain a leading online presence, including through the Playfair Data and Playfair Data TV websites, online marketing and advertising initiatives and social media pages (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and LinkedIn).
• Identify, hire and work with web developers, marketing agencies and other vendors to create the highest quality, most innovative and compelling online, marketing and advertising efforts, prioritizing those with the greatest impact, while being judicious with Playfair Data resources.
ii. Maintain robust blog at Playfair Data, work to increase blog authorship among Playfair Data colleagues.
• Manage a near and long-range content calendar and ensure regular posting of new blogs covering a variety of topics.
iii. Oversee and execute Playfair Data email program and regular communications to email subscribers.
• Write copy, assemble images (including all legally required permissions, if any), draft and send email to subscribers at least twice monthly, with at least one email featuring new blog content.
iv. As requested by Playfair Data Founder and Principal or the Sr. Director of Operations, draft copy and prepare email templates for communicating to public and private training event attendees.
v. Maintain a growing library of content at Playfair Data TV, identifying new expert contributors to be added to the site.
• Film, edit and post new videos and re-recorded content monthly, including identifying and linking related content and securing and adding transcripts and closed captioning.
• Draft, schedule and send monthly email to Playfair Data TV members and subscribers.
• Work with Playfair Data Founder and Principal and Sr. Director of Operations to develop compensation structure, processes, production and standards for new experts to film videos for inclusion at Playfair Data TV.
• Develop a policy and mechanism for group sales of Playfair Data TV memberships and subscriptions and the licensing of Playfair Data TV for use by other companies.
vi. Oversee the development of physical, electronic and printed collateral materials, including but not limited to an executive summary, work product examples, pricing sheets, brochures, business cards, PowerPoint and other templates, promotional items and giveaways, and structures and signage to be used at conferences and Playfair Data hosted or sponsored events.
d. As needed, prepare press releases, media kits, and draft talking points for interviews or other needs as they arise.
e. Represent and speak on behalf of Playfair Data at meetings, conferences and other events.
Estimated percent of time: 35%
2. Provide creative direction and design support for Playfair Data client projects and communications.
a. Brainstorm with Playfair Data Founder and Principal on how to create innovative designs and user experiences that pioneer the field of data visualization.
b. Create, document and maintain recommended guidelines and standards for the data visualizations produced by Playfair Data colleagues (i.e. “Design systems” for the Playfair Data brand and client brands).
c. Support the Discovery and Dashboard Development phases of Playfair Data’s Decision-Ready Dashboard framework to identify objectives for client dashboards and create initial concept wireframes.
i. Attend new project kick-off calls and other client meetings, as appropriate.
d. Develop, produce and maintain a gallery of templates to be used by Playfair Data colleagues for client communications and during the Dashboard Development, Distribution, and Documentation phases of Playfair Data’s Decision-Ready Dashboard framework, including but not limited to PowerPoint templates and other documents for screenshare meetings attended by client leadership and key stakeholders and any written documentation presented to the client at the close of a project.
e. As requested, review communications and dashboards, troubleshoot and provide feedback to Playfair Data colleagues.
f. When applicable, train clients to elevate the design and user experience of their dashboards based on the design systems implemented by Playfair Data during the course of our partnership.
Estimated percent of time: 55%
Other Important Functions
1. Serve as a leader within Playfair Data
a. Promote Playfair Data within his/her circles of influence.
b. Identify new client opportunities and cultivate existing client relationships. Assist the Director of Partner Engagement to populate the new client and project pipeline, as well as help prepare compelling project and engagement proposals and attend and assist with client pitches and other meetings, as appropriate.
c. Support the work-related needs and foster the professional development of Playfair Data colleagues.
d. Identify and champion new opportunities, tools and practices for enhancing creativity, innovation, communication, efficiency and growth at Playfair Data.
e. Assist with drafting job descriptions and the hiring, on-boarding and training of future direct reports.
f. Manage direct reports, monitor performance, provide coaching, support and feedback, and conduct ongoing and annual performance reviews.
g. Promote positive collaboration between the Design team and other Playfair Data colleagues.
Estimated percent of time: 10%
[ ] No specific requirements
[ ] High School diploma or equivalent
[ ] Associates degree
[X] Bachelors degree
[ ] Masters degree
[ ] PhD
[ ] Other ___________________________________
Related Work Experience
[ ] No Experience necessary / On-the-Job Training
[ ] 1 year experience
[ ] 3 years experience
[X] 5 years experience
[ ] 7 or more years experience
Would prior work experience in the same job be accepted in lieu of a degree? No
If so, how many years? N/A
Additional knowledge, skills, abilities or work experience, if any, necessary to complete the essential functions. He/she must:
• Be reliable, responsive and conduct him/herself in a professional manner.
• Demonstrate a commitment to timeliness and the highest level of accuracy when it comes to communicating key information.
• Have knowledge of how to develop brand identities through multi-channel marketing and keep up to date on the latest trends and techniques.
• Possess good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, and be able to mediate and interact effectively with a wide variety of personality types.
• Have excellent critical thinking skills, project-management skills, as well as be organized and capable of prioritizing, coordinating and delivering on multiple projects with and without the pressure of externally imposed deadlines.
• Be discreet and able to maintain strict client and company confidentiality.
• Have the ability to use a computer keyboard and be able to tolerate repetitive motion and eye strain resulting from extensive utilization of computer hardware and software.
• Be able to lift at least thirty pounds, climb stairs, and stand and walk for long periods.
• Have a valid driver’s license and access to a car that can be used for work purposes.
• Be willing and able to travel domestically for client and company meetings and events hosted across the United States.
• Be adept in Tableau, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Creative Suite.
Areas of Responsibility
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe: For the first six months, a minimum of 60% of incumbent’s time (or an average of at least 24 hours per week) is expected to be billable to Playfair Data clients. This number may change as the position evolves.
[ ] Yes [X] No
If yes, describe:
Budget and spending
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe: Incumbent will be responsible for managing a marketing, advertising and website maintenance budget, including ensuring on-time payment to vendors.
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe: This role includes responsibility for the management of Playfair Data personnel and other relationships, including but not limited to vendors, contractors and ad hoc workers.
Complexity and Decision Making
[ ] Makes decisions regarding own work that typically has limited impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, or the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Utilizes available data to make basic decisions regarding own work that may have some direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, or the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Utilizes available data for decisions requiring analytical ability. Decisions have direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, or the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Creates, researches, and analyzes data not readily available for decisions having direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, and the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Creates, researches, and analyzes data not readily available for complex decisions having direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, and the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data. May have direct impact on the strategic business and personnel decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ X ] Makes decisions of significant scope requiring advanced analytical judgment. Decisions typically impact the strategic business and personnel decisions as well as the finances, mission, vision and future of Playfair Data.
To whom does this position report? Playfair Data Founder and Principal
Note: This job description includes most of the duties and responsibilities for which an employee will be held accountable. As the job evolves an employee should expect to complete other duties as assigned that may not be specifically listed above.
Review/Revision Date: February 27, 2020