1. Evangelize Tableau and champion Playfair Data’s world-class products, services and people.
a. Keep up to date and serve as a knowledgeable resource regarding Tableau’s latest features and pricing for Playfair team members and client stakeholders.
b. Maintain a basic knowledge about data warehousing, engineering and analytics, in general.
c. In collaboration with Playfair Data Founder and Principal and Sr. Director of Operations, establish and maintain a pricing menu for dashboard development, analytics consulting and training services.
d. Track and evaluate trends in the competitive landscape, including competitor pricing, products, people and business, marketing and sales initiatives, etc.
e. Identify opportunities, develop and implement internal initiatives to maintain Playfair Data’s position as a pioneer, leader and innovator in the field of data visualization.
f. Represent and speak on behalf of Playfair Data at meetings, conferences and other events.
Estimated percent of time: 10%
2. Establish and cultivate trust and good working relationships with client contacts.
a. In collaboration with Playfair Data Founder and Principal and Sr. Director of Operations, identify, document, implement and internally communicate Playfair Data’s business development strategies, as appropriate.
b. Serve as the first point of contact for new consulting opportunities and prospective clients.
• Prepare responses to dashboard development and consulting inquiries that come via the Playfair Data websites and other channels. Maintain a commitment to timeliness and tailoring each communication based on the available information as well as basic research conducted on the prospective client, their industry, and any other background information that may help build a connection and a compelling proposal.
• Schedule, prepare for and conduct discovery calls to learn more about new consulting opportunities, prospective clients and their Tableau-related needs. Include Playfair Data Director of Analytics and/or Founder and Principal as appropriate, based on the scope of work and other variables.
• Prepare and submit customized dashboard development and consulting proposals, working with Director of Analytics as needed to ensure proposals accurately reflect the human capital needed to fulfill any given scope of work.
c. Manage and grow Playfair Data’s pipeline of proposals and potential work.
• Move prospective clients through the sales and customer relationship cycle – Qualification > Proposal > Closing > Stewardship
• As appropriate, remain in contact and follow-up with former and lapsed clients to re-engage and identify new projects and partnership opportunities.
• Identify opportunities and implement mechanisms for generating new leads. Provide recommendations to and collaborate with Playfair Data Creative Director to increase online and other lead generation.
d. Identify opportunities and occasions to communicate and connect with existing client contacts to show Playfair Data’s appreciation for the relationship and their business.
e. Document actions, proposals and communications with existing and prospective clients in CRM database.
Estimated percent of time: 20%
3. Establish and cultivate trust and good working relationships with contractors and other Playfair Data team members.
a. Serve as the primary contact for new and existing contract workers.
b. Collect employee and contractor resumes and headshots. Work with Creative Director to have avatars made for each new employee and contractor. Collaborate with Creative Director to draft team bios for inclusion on the Playfair Data website, as appropriate.
c. Keep in regular communication with contract workers to confirm their current and ongoing interest and availability for work.
d. Ensure that all contractors provide Playfair Data with the required documentation, including but not limited to a signed Independent Contractor’s Agreement, current W-9, Certificates of Insurance, etc.
e. Prepare and send to contractors for signature Work Orders documenting expectations, compensation, terms, deadlines and other relevant details associated with each consulting engagement.
f. Coordinate with Playfair Data Sr. Director of Operations to ensure contractors receive timely payment, and the appropriate year-end tax forms.
g. Send reminders and collect accounting of time worked by contractors for client billing and contractor payment.
h. Identify opportunities to communicate and connect with contractors to show Playfair Data’s appreciation for the relationship and their work.
Estimated percent of time: 20%
4. Provide direction and support to ensure consulting projects move forward in ways that are gratifying for all parties.
a. Identify, recommend and implement customer relationship and project management tools and software to track project milestones for both internal usage as well as for client stakeholders, as appropriate.
• Establish, document and communicate standards for use of CRM and project management tools and software for use by Playfair Data.
• Provide training and work with Playfair Data colleagues to ensure they prioritize and consistently use CRM and project management tools and software.
b. Serve as a project manager, facilitate successful working relationships and consulting engagements, from beginning to end.
• In collaboration with Playfair Data Director of Analytics, identify the best fit for fulfilling a new dashboard development or consulting project and communicate the potential project details with those contractor(s) or Playfair Data employees, as appropriate.
• Schedule, set and communicate the agenda for, and lead new project kick-off and other significant meetings to include Playfair Data and client stakeholders.
• Host feedback sessions with Playfair Data and client stakeholders throughout the development process to ensure client satisfaction and fulfillment of project goals.
• Coordinate with contractors and Playfair Data employees to track and ensure they meet deadlines and fulfill deliverables, exceeding client expectation.
• Act as a client liaison and when necessary, an intermediary between the client and the Playfair Data technical team. Be able to initiate difficult conversations in order to move a client or project to an outcome satisfactory for all parties.
• Alert Sr. Director of Operations when a new consulting proposal has been signed and when a project is near completion. Provide monthly accounting of time worked by contractors for billing and payment.
Estimated percent of time: 40%
Other Important Functions
1. Report business intelligence insights to client throughout the duration of an engagement.
a. Identify trends and use data to recommend solutions to business problems.
Estimated percent of time: 5%
2. Serve as a leader within Playfair Data
a. Promote Playfair Data within his/her circles of influence.
b. Support the work-related needs and foster the professional development of Playfair Data colleagues.
c. Identify and champion new opportunities, tools, practices and software for enhancing efficiency, development and growth at Playfair Data.
d. Assist with drafting job descriptions and the hiring, on-boarding and training of future direct reports.
e. Manage direct reports, monitor performance, provide coaching, support and feedback, and conduct ongoing and annual performance reviews.
f. Promote positive collaboration between Playfair Data colleagues.
Estimated percent of time: 5%
[ ] No specific requirements
[ ] High School diploma or equivalent
[ ] Associates degree
[X] Bachelors degree
[ ] Masters degree
[ ] PhD
[ ] Other ___________________________________
Related Work Experience
[ ] No Experience necessary / On-the-Job Training
[ ] 1 year experience
[X] 3 years experience
[ ] 5 years experience
[ ] 7 or more years experience
Would prior work experience in the same job be accepted in lieu of a degree? No
If so, how many years? N/A
Additional knowledge, skills, abilities or work experience, if any, necessary to complete the essential functions. He/she must:
• Conduct him/herself in a professional manner.
• Demonstrate a commitment to timeliness.
• Be reliable, responsive and conduct him/herself in a professional manner.
• Possess good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, and be able to mediate and interact effectively with a wide variety of personality types.
• Have excellent critical thinking skills, project-management skills, as well as be organized and capable of prioritizing, coordinating and delivering on multiple projects with and without the pressure of externally imposed deadlines.
• Be able to quickly and independently gain an understanding of different industries and individual companies, and their needs, organizational structure, culture and vernacular.
• Be discreet and able to maintain strict client and company confidentiality.
• Have the ability to use a computer keyboard and be able to tolerate repetitive motion and eye strain resulting from extensive utilization of computer hardware and software.
• Be able to lift at least thirty pounds, climb stairs, and stand and walk for long periods.
• Have a valid driver’s license and access to a car that can be used for work purposes.
• Be willing and able to travel domestically for client and company meetings and events hosted across the United States.
• Have experience in people, account or project management.
• Have experience with Tableau Desktop, Tableau Prep or like data engineering tools (i.e. SQL workbench, Alteryx, etc.), Microsoft Excel, Trello or like kanban tools (i.e. JIRA, etc.), Tableau Server / Online, and GSuite products (i.e. Gmail, Google Drive, etc.)
• Possess existing U.S. work authorization (at this time, Playfair Data is unable to provide Visa sponsorships for any position).
Areas of Responsibility
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe: As project manager, a portion of incumbent’s time will be billable to Playfair Data clients.
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe: This role includes responsibility for procuring new business for Playfair Data. Performance will be evaluated based on sales and revenue goals set collaboratively by the incumbent and Playfair Data Founder and Principal and Sr. Director of Operations.
Budget and spending
[ ] Yes [X] No
If yes, describe:
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe: This role includes responsibility for the management of key relationships, including but not limited to clients, vendors, contractors and ad hoc workers.
Complexity and Decision Making
[ ] Makes decisions regarding own work that typically has limited impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, or the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Utilizes available data to make basic decisions regarding own work that may have some direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, or the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Utilizes available data for decisions requiring analytical ability. Decisions have direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, or the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Creates, researches, and analyzes data not readily available for decisions having direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, and the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ X ] Creates, researches, and analyzes data not readily available for complex decisions having direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, and the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data. May have direct impact on the strategic business and personnel decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Makes decisions of significant scope requiring advanced analytical judgment. Decisions typically impact the strategic business and personnel decisions as well as the finances, mission, vision and future of Playfair Data.
To whom does this position report? Playfair Data Sr. Director of Operations
Note: This job description includes most of the duties and responsibilities for which an employee will be held accountable. As the job evolves an employee should expect to complete other duties as assigned that may not be specifically listed above.
Review/Revision Date: March 5, 2020