1. Manage the ideation stage of Tableau visual analytics projects.
a. Establish and cultivate trust and good working relationships with client contacts.
b. Help lead the Discovery phase of Playfair Data’s Decision-Ready Dashboard Framework to identify client business objectives and dashboard requirements.
• Attend project kick-off meetings, participate in strategic and tactical planning discussions, review existing client data visualization tools, resources, and brand standards, and conduct client stakeholder interviews.
• Use the information gathered during the Discovery phase to interpret client needs, translate insights into design concepts, and build client engagement and excitement.
• Effectively communicate recommendations, ideas, and design concepts to a range of audiences through professional, well-planned meetings, presentations, and storytelling.
c. Utilize various project management tools and software to track project milestones.
2. Design moderate to high complexity Tableau visualizations customized to the unique needs of Playfair Data’s diverse portfolio of clients.
a. Based on the information gathered during the Discovery phase of Playfair Data’s Decision-Ready Dashboard framework, design detailed mock-ups and wireframes using features available in Tableau with consideration for iconography, color, typography, interaction, and motion.
• Create prototypes that align with a client’s brand standards, as well as demonstrate user experience and interface design best practices, an understanding of the key performance indicators and data being visualized, and the interactive functionalities achievable.
b. Contribute to the other phases of the Decision-Ready Dashboard Framework (Data Preparation, Dashboard Development, and Distribution).
• Support Playfair Data engineers on the technical execution of the dashboards, navigating and compensating for the constraints of Tableau.
• Participate in product demonstrations, assist with revision requests, troubleshooting and testing, approvals, and final delivery, etc.
• In collaboration with other Playfair Data colleagues, throughout the duration of a project, host feedback sessions with client stakeholders to ensure client satisfaction and fulfillment of project goals.
c. Secure or create any graphic elements, icons, and images that may be needed for use within a dashboard.
d. Occasionally, upon request, draft and deliver a detailed custom design system guideline document for Playfair Data clients to inform style and standards related to a company’s internal use of Tableau.
e. Track and record time spent on client communications and dashboard design.
3. Contribute to the maintenance and expansion of Playfair Data’s internal style guide, design systems, and brand assets.
a. Assist with building Playfair Data’s Tableau Public Portfolio.
b. Secure or create any graphic elements, icons, and images that may be needed for use within Playfair Data’s blog posts, email communications, videos, and other marketing, sales, and training materials.
c. Upon request, help develop physical, electronic, and printed collateral for Playfair Data, including, but not limited to, ads, pricing sheets, brochures, business cards, promotional items, and PowerPoint and other templates, as well as structures and signage to be used at conferences and Playfair Data hosted or sponsored events.
d. Educate team members in the effective use of graphic and interface design in Tableau dashboards.
Other Important Functions
1. Evangelize Playfair Data’s world-class products, services and people.
a. Promote Playfair Data within his/her circles of influence.
b. Upon request, help the Director of Partner Engagement to prepare compelling project and engagement proposals and attend and assist with client pitches and other meetings, as requested.
c. Identify new opportunities, tools and practices for enhancing creativity, innovation, communication, efficiency and growth at Playfair Data.
d. Promote positive collaboration between the Tableau design team and other Playfair Data colleagues.
[ ] No specific requirements
[ ] High School diploma or equivalent
[ ] Associates degree
[X] Bachelors degree
[ ] Masters degree
[ ] PhD
[ ] Other ___________________________________
Related Work Experience
[ ] No Experience necessary / On-the-Job Training
[ ] 1 year experience
[X] 3 years experience
[ ] 5 years experience
[ ] 7 or more years experience
Would prior work experience in the same job be accepted in lieu of a degree? No
If so, how many years? N/A
Additional knowledge, skills, abilities or work experience, if any, necessary to complete the essential functions. He/she must:
• Have experience with or an interest in learning Tableau. (Self-guided training tools and resources will be provided.)
• Be reliable, responsive and conduct him/herself in a professional manner.
• Demonstrate a commitment to timeliness.
• Be a strategic thinker, adept at discovering new ways to solve problems, and interested in how people understand and communicate through data.
• Possess good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, and be able to interact effectively with a wide variety of personality types.
• Have excellent project-management skills, as well as be capable of working independently and prioritizing, coordinating and delivering on multiple projects with and without the pressure of externally imposed deadlines.
• Be able to quickly and independently gain an understanding of different industries and individual companies, and their needs, organizational structure, culture and vernacular.
• Be discreet and able to maintain strict client and company confidentiality.
• Have the ability to use a computer keyboard and be able to tolerate repetitive motion and eye strain resulting from extensive utilization of computer hardware and software.
• Be able to lift at least thirty pounds, climb stairs, and stand and walk for long periods.
• Post-Covid 19, be willing and able to travel domestically for client and company meetings and events hosted across the United States.
• Have experience creating and following brand standards and user experience patterns, and a basic knowledge of email graphics, web graphics, and html.
• Be adept in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, XD and Photoshop, as well as Microsoft Excel, Trello or like kanban tools (i.e. JIRA, Kanbanchi, etc.), and Google Workspace products (i.e. Gmail, Google Drive, etc.)
• Possess existing U.S. work authorization (at this time, Playfair Data is unable to provide Visa sponsorships for any position).
Areas of Responsibility
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe: A minimum of 90% of incumbent’s time (or an average of 35 hours per week) is expected to be billable to Playfair Data clients.
[ ] Yes [X] No
If yes, describe:
Budget and Spending
[ ] Yes [X] No
If yes, describe:
[ ] Yes [X] No
If yes, describe:
Complexity and Decision Making
[ ] Makes decisions regarding own work that typically has limited impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, or the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Utilizes available data to make basic decisions regarding own work that may have some direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, or the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Utilizes available data for decisions requiring analytical ability. Decisions have direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, or the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[X] Creates, researches, and analyzes data not readily available for decisions having direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, and the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Creates, researches, and analyzes data not readily available for complex decisions having direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, and the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data. May have direct impact on the strategic business and personnel decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Makes decisions of significant scope requiring advanced analytical judgment. Decisions typically impact the strategic business and personnel decisions as well as the finances, mission, vision and future of Playfair Data.
To whom does this position report? Director, Information Design
Note: This job description includes most of the duties and responsibilities for which an employee will be held accountable. As the job evolves an employee should expect to complete other duties as assigned that may not be specifically listed above.
Review/Revision Date: March 5, 2021