Arizona State University | SkySong
Phoenix | Fundamentals Tableau Training with Ryan Sleeper
About the Instructor
Ryan Sleeper is founder and principal consultant at Playfair Data and has consulted with many of the world’s best-known brands. He is author of the books, Practical Tableau (O’Reilly 2018) and Innovative Tableau (O’Reilly 2020), and has shared his data visualization strategies worldwide, including speaking engagements in London, Tokyo, Toronto, and Singapore. Ryan’s work in Tableau has earned him the titles of Tableau Zen Master, Tableau Global Iron Viz Champion, and Tableau Public Visualization of the Year author.
This ticket entitles you to:
- Full day of Tableau Desktop and data visualization training with Ryan Sleeper.
- Printed copy of Ryan’s book, Practical Tableau.
- Lifetime membership to Playfair Data TV, an online learning platform.
- Custom notebook and USB drive with the sample data set and other bonus material.
- Morning coffee, continental breakfast, networking lunch.
- Individual instruction and feedback during the hands-on exercises, and more.
A laptop and charger are required for this event.
Topics We Cover
Tableau & Data Visualization FundamentalsWe’ll start from the beginning and learn how to connect to data, cover Tableau Desktop fundamentals, discuss the science behind why data visualization works, and practice making some of the most effective chart types.
Technical Feature Deep DivesAfter learning the essentials, we’ll discuss many of the technical aspects of Tableau Desktop such as custom calculations, parameters, and sets and how they can be used in real-world applications to help you get the most out of the software.
Intro to DashboardsWe’ll tie together the examples built in the first two sessions by building dashboards. You'll learn about dashboard dimensions, how to use white space for better dashboard designs, creating device-friendly layouts, the storypoints feature, how to navigate dashboards using dashboard actions, and more.
- Proven to help new or beginning Tableau users become proficient in the software in a matter of hours.
- Proprietary curriculum designed from scratch.
- Combination of tactical Tableau training, data storytelling, design theory, and data visualization strategy.
- Hands-on exercises with personal feedback and instruction.