Kansas City & Orlando
The Marketing Manager has responsibility for imagining and fulfilling ideas and initiatives that help promote and grow the Playfair Data brand and customer base.
1. Translate the vision and mission of Playfair Data into clear, creative advertising and marketing communications.
a. Execute basic website updates at playfairdata.com.
• Add new team member avatars and bios to the Meet the Team page.
• Add new job descriptions and openings to the Careers page.
• Maintain and add new weekly blog posts to the Blog & Tutorials page.
• Using existing templates, create new pages for live Tableau and visual analytics training events.
b. Manage and promote the Playfair+ online learning platform.
• Regularly update “Playfair+ by the Numbers” statistics detailing the content available and number of site visits.
• Coordinate monthly book drawing for active Playfair+ members, establish fair winner selection process, communicate with each month’s winner, and package and mail to them their book of choice.
• Work with Playfair Data Founder and Principal and Director of Information Design to plan and promote quarterly live member-exclusive webinars.
• Plan and promote regular product sales, including but not limited to an annual birthday sale and a Black Friday/Cyber Monday promotion.
c. Maintain existing and create new social media pages (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.) for Playfair Data.
• Promote new blog posts, Playfair+ videos, team events, company news, and other content on social media channels.
• Draft copy and create new images daily to be posted on all social media channels.
• Respond to social media follower comments and questions, as appropriate.
d. Manage Playfair Data’s online credentialing program.
• Identify and coordinate new ways to maximize the program and promote the request, redemption, and external sharing of Playfair Data’s badges.
e. Identify, draft, and submit company and individual team member recognition and award nominations, including but not limited to Kansas City and Orlando Business Journals, Ingram’s Magazine, Inc. Magazine, Information is Beautiful, Tableau Visionary and Ambassador, and more.
f. Oversee the development of other physical and electronic collateral materials, including but not limited to an executive summary, work product examples, pricing sheets, brochures, business cards, PowerPoint and other templates, promotional items and giveaways, and structures and signage to be used at conferences and Playfair Data hosted or sponsored events.
g. As needed, prepare press releases, media kits, and draft talking points for interviews or other needs as they arise.
2. Manage library of blog posts written by Playfair Data’s team of technical experts.
a. Manage a current and long-range content calendar and ensure regular posting of new blogs covering a variety of topics.
b. Collaborate with the Director of Partner Engagement to track due dates and ensure Playfair Data team members have their blog copy drafted by the weekly deadline.
c. Prepare and upload blog posts to the Playfair Data website.
• Inspect and assemble all images (including all legally required permissions, if any), links, videos, data sources and other related content to be embedded in or included with the post.
• Have each post peer-reviewed by another Playfair Data colleague to check for clarity and technical accuracy.
• Check for grammar, spelling and other non-technical edits.
• Confirm the author and supporting team’s avatar(s) and bio(s) have been added to WordPress and are visible on the blog post.
• Publish blog using WordPress, adding the appropriate tags and descriptions to maximize SEO.
3. Maintain Playfair+ on-line learning platform training videos and related content.
a. Ensure video production equipment is in good working order. Research and order new and replacement equipment as needs arise.
b. Receive raw filmed videos from Playfair Data Founder and Principal.
c. Work with the Director of Information Design and/or an approved vendor to edit completed videos in a timely manner. As needed, add graphic design elements, titles, and intro and outro slides to completed videos.
d. Send new videos to be transcribed, and then have transcription reviewed by another Playfair Data colleague to check for clarity and technical accuracy.
e. Upload new videos to Vimeo and the Playfair Data website.
• Collect and inspect all images (including all legally required permissions, if any), links, data sources and book references to be included in the related content section of the video page.
• Check for grammar, spelling and other non-technical edits.
• Upload video to Vimeo and create both a full-length version and a 60-second promotional preview.
• Add video, summary, and transcription to WordPress, adding the appropriate tags and descriptions to maximize SEO.
• Add links to any related content, including blog posts, examples from Playfair Data’s Tableau Public portfolio, and chapters from Innovative Tableau, Practical Tableau, or Tableau Desktop Pocket Reference.
f. Maintain tags for Playfair+ members and subscribers in Mailchimp.
g. Provide assistance in responding to online form fills and emails received from potential Playfair+ customers and current Playfair+ members.
4. Manage Playfair Data’s email program and communications to email subscribers.
a. Manage all aspects of Playfair Data’s weekly email program, including blog, promotional, and Playfair+ related communications.
b. Work with the Director of Information Design to identify, and assemble copy and images for the service, event, or product, included in the ad section of that month’s emails.
c. After adding blog or Playfair+ video content to the Playfair Data website, in Mailchimp, add copy and images to existing email template, update the subject line, preview text, campaign URL, ad section, recent content section, embedded links, and recipient list.
d. Update and preview dynamic content sections to ensure correct messaging is applied to Playfair+ members versus non-members.
e. Use the test email function to meticulously quality check and review all links and copy.
f. Schedule email, keeping to the strict pre-determined schedule.
g. Utilize auto-responses to clean-up the email subscriber list.
h. As necessary, add new email subscribers to Mailchimp.
5. Represent Playfair Data at conferences and community events.
a. Serve as a point of contact with Chambers of Commerce, Tech Councils in Playfair Data’s home cities, and other professional organizations.
b. Attend and represent Playfair Data at Chamber of Conference events, association meetings, awards receptions, job and internship fairs, and at conventions, conferences, and other external events.
c. Maintain equipment and purchase supplies needed for events, including hardware (iPads, etc.), branded tablecloths and other signage and giveaway items.
d. Serve as the primary point of contact and communicate with external event organizers about Playfair Data’s participation.
e. Prepare, print and pack event materials.
f. If unavailable to attend personally, recruit other team members to provide external event staffing support, as appropriate.
g. As needed, prepare and communicate event related talking points and briefing materials to be referenced during an event.
Other functions of this job that would optimize the incumbent’s productivity and role within the company but would not be considered essential job functions as defined above.
1. Help maintain and document style guidelines, brand standards and graphic directory for Playfair Data.
2. Support the graphic design needs of Playfair Data and/or its consulting clients.
3. Provide video editing and/or live audio-visual production support.
4. Help develop a compensation structure, processes, production and standards for other experts to film new Playfair+ videos.
5. Develop a policy and mechanism for group sales of Playfair+ memberships and subscriptions, and the licensing Playfair+ for use by other companies.
[ ] No specific requirements
[ ] High School diploma or equivalent
[ ] Associates degree
[X] Bachelors degree
[ ] Masters degree
[ ] PhD
[ ] Other ___________________________________
Related Work Experience
[ ] No Experience necessary / On-the-Job Training
[ ] 1 year experience
[X] 3 years experience
[ ] 5 years experience
[ ] 7 or more years experience
Would prior work experience in the same job be accepted in lieu of a degree? No
If so, how many years? n/a
Additional knowledge, skills, abilities or work experience, if any, necessary to complete the essential functions. He/she must:
[ ] Yes [X] No
If yes, describe:
[ ] Yes [X] No
If yes, describe:
Budget and Spending
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe: The Marketing Manager will be responsible for identifying opportunities for paid search and have access to a monthly budget to support paid advertising initiatives.
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe: The Marketing Manager will help manage the relationship(s) and coordinate the support of Playfair Data’s web design and marketing vendor(s).
[ ] Makes decisions regarding own work that typically has limited impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, or the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Utilizes available data to make basic decisions regarding own work that may have some direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, or the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Utilizes available data for decisions requiring analytical ability. Decisions have direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, or the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[X] Creates, researches, and analyzes data not readily available for decisions having direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, and the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Creates, researches, and analyzes data not readily available for complex decisions having direct impact on client relationships, consulting projects, public and private training events, and the strategic business decisions and finances of Playfair Data. May have direct impact on the strategic business and personnel decisions and finances of Playfair Data.
[ ] Makes decisions of significant scope requiring advanced analytical judgment. Decisions typically impact the strategic business and personnel decisions as well as the finances, mission, vision and future of Playfair Data.
to Whom Does this Position Report?: Director of Information Design
Note: This job description includes most of the duties and responsibilities for which an employee will be held accountable. As the job evolves an employee should expect to complete other duties as assigned that may not be specifically listed above.
Review/Revision Date: September 22, 2022